Monday, March 11, 2013

Thoughts for the week of March 10, 2013

Last week I asked if we shine the light of Jesus more through what we say and do, or through who we are?  I also said I had my own ideas about that, but before I shared them I wanted to know your thoughts.  So what do you think?

In my humble opinion, I believe it is more important that we shine the light of Jesus through who we are than by what we say and do.   Of course, who we are will shape what we say and do, and I think that is why I believe who we are is more important.

For example, Paul says in I Corinthians 13:1-3, "If I speak in the tongues of men or of angels, but do not have love, I am only a resounding gong or a clanging cymbal ... If I give all I possess to the poor and give over my body to hardship that I may boast, but do not have love, I gain nothing."  So what we say and what we do mean little if our motivation is anything other than love; true, self-giving love.

And that kind of love comes from a character that is being formed by the Holy Spirit so that we look more and more like every Jesus every day along the way ....

No comments:

Post a Comment