Tuesday, June 24, 2014

June 24, 2014 - Along the way ...

I have been reflecting a lot on identity, lately.   Who we are is who we are in Christ, and who we are becoming is also in Christ.   This is our identity as followers of Jesus.

So what does that mean for our everyday lives?

Understanding our identity is very important because we are the ones people meet and interact with on a daily basis.   As we go, where we go, and with whom we go, any interaction is an interaction with us, as people, as we are, being who we are.

For example, understanding my identity has helped me immensely in understanding my role as a chaplain in the US Air Force.

People say to me, so what restrictions are they placing on you as a chaplain?  My answer is always the same.  In worship, I lead worship in the same way I lead worship at Chelwood Church.   I pray in the name of the Father, Son and Holy Spirit.   We worship the triune God, and point people to Jesus as the only hope for salvation.  

However, when I am not leading worship, I fill a crucial role as an officer in the US Air Force.   As a chaplain, I am everyone's chaplain, regardless of their faith background or lack of faith.   I serve a professional role in being a safe place for people to share their troubles with complete confidentiality, to provide invocations for all types of ceremonies and formations, to advise commanders with respect to ethical decision-making and matters of morale, as well as be "a visible reminder of the holy".   I do that from who I am and because who I am is who I am in Christ, so everyone I interact with meets Jesus.

The same is true everywhere I go, whether serving as a chaplain or not.   As I meet people at Little
League baseball games, Cub Scout meetings, Boy Scout troop events, prayer gatherings, etc.   I am who I am in Christ, so when people meet me they meet Jesus in me through the Holy Spirit's power.

And the same is true for you.   Who you are, as a follower of Jesus, is who you are in Christ.  

So how is that realization helping you understand the opportunity for kingdom service involved in every personal interaction you have each day?   I invite you to share your thoughts and stories.  I am becoming more convinced that this is God's plan for us as we journey together along the way ...

No comments:

Post a Comment