Tuesday, March 11, 2014

March 11, 2014 - Along the Way ...

Last week I had the opportunity to see the "Son of God" film in a theater with a friend.  All in all I really enjoyed the film.  It is always interesting to see how different actors/directors portray the events and words of Jesus' life.

As I have reflected on the film, I find two things most striking.  First, the reaction of the religious leaders to Jesus, and second the disciples' surprise that Jesus' life led to rejection and crucifixion before His victorious resurrection.

First, the religious leaders refuse to believe the truth.   They see the fulfillment of every promise God ever made revealed before their very eyes, yet they refuse to believe.  In the movie, as in the gospels, their refusal borders on ridiculous.  Yet when you see it acted out before your eyes their refusal seems even more incredible.  There is even a scene at the end where Jesus is on the cross and the religious leaders are praying in the temple praising God for His faithfulness and celebrating His promises.  The juxtaposition of those two events is no doubt planned, but the reality of it is puzzling to say the least.

Second, the disciples' surprise is equally notable, especially since Jesus told them time and again that His life would lead to rejection and crucifixion before His victorious resurrection (esp. Matthew 16:21, 17:22-23, 20:18-19, 26:2).  I guess it was just too unbelievable that this incredible ride would lead to such tragic events.  It also dulled their senses to hear the good news, "three days later I will rise again."  

I realize that the Holy Spirit is operative in these reactions; blinded eyes cannot see the truth until the veil has been lifted.   Yet it challenges me to consider my own blind spots today.  What am I missing?  What is God doing among us now that I am just too blind or stubborn or oblivious to see?

So during Lent and beyond I will pray God will open my eyes so that I can see where I cannot see, hear where I cannot hear, and feel what I cannot feel, and I invite you to join me in that prayer as we journey together along the way ...

No comments:

Post a Comment