Tuesday, December 30, 2014

December 30, 2014 - Along the Way ...

As we conclude 2014 and look toward 2015, I would like to encourage each of us to consider taking a page from a popular devotional strategy called "One Word".

The idea of "One Word" is to find a Biblical word or phrase that can capture your imagination for the entire year, and make it an emphasis in prayer and study toward developing one particular aspect of your life for the entire year.

Through prayer and contemplation, I have chosen a word, or should I say the word chose me.  I am not sure if it is a Biblical word, but it will be particularly relevant for me in developing as a follower of Jesus Christ.   The one word I will focus on in 2015 is "mindful".

Being "mindful" has lots of implications.   It will impact my purchases, my interactions with others, my awareness of my own thoughts, habits, and choices and how each impacts my witness for Jesus and my pursuit of His kingdom and His righteousness.

One choice I have made that should help me be "mindful" is to start each day with God's word, as I make my way through the "One Year Bible" on my iPad.  Each morning I will read some of the Jewish scriptures (what we often call the "Old Testament"), some from the gospels, Psalms and Proverbs, and the letters of the apostles.   I look forward to having my mind formed by God's word and allowing me to be "mindful" throughout my day as I listen for what God is saying to me.

I may have a few blogs in 2015 that reflect on my "one word", so be prepared.  I also encourage you to prayerfully consider finding "one word" and doing the same.  If you make that choice, I invite you to share your own "one word" as a comment to this blog.

This is a great way to start the new year, and to learn from one another as we journey together along the Way ...

No comments:

Post a Comment