Tuesday, November 18, 2014

November 18, 2014 - Along the Way ...

Last week Friday I received the news that my 93, almost 94-year old grandmother passed away.   She died, and is now experiencing the wonderful joy known only to those who belong to Christ.

I am sad that I will not be able to be present to pay my last respects at her funeral, but I am so thankful I saw her alive just 2 months ago.   I am also thankful I was there with my mom and my daughter.   Such a blessing to know her legacy lives on in us.

So what was her legacy?

She was the mother of 10 children, the grandmother of 28 grandchildren, and great-grandmother to 27 great-grandchildren.  

She was a fighter, all her life, and she instilled that fight in everyone of her children.

She was not perfect, but she was genuine.   With Grandma what she saw is what you got.

I think there is a lot more I could say, but I will leave space for others to add their own thoughts.  Nevertheless, I believe her greatest legacy was her testimony and her love for Jesus.

You see my grandma did not always know that comfort.   She did not join the church until she married my grandfather Raymond, and even then she admitted, she did not understand what it meant to love Jesus.

But one day all that changed!   She was in her late 60's or early 70's when her life was transformed by the knowledge of God's love for her in Christ and she became "born again"!

Now I know there are many folks who claim to be "born again", and people doubt since it can be difficult to see the change.    But with my grandma there was no doubt!  Almost overnight she changed.  Anger turned to joy, negativity turned optimistic, and skepticism became wonder.   She started to change her habits, her lifestyle, she lost weight and began exercising, she really discovered the beauty of every day and she shared that excitement with everyone she met.

She volunteered to clean the church building, and took great pride in the cleanliness of the bathrooms believing them to be fit for a king.

Over the past few years, her health had slowly deteriorated after her mind had long been gone.   She suffered from Alzheimer's disease/Dementia, but I don't know if I should say she "suffered" as much as we suffered; those of us who knew her previously.   She held onto the joy and wonder of each day.  She cut out pictures from newspapers and delighted to share the daily conversations she was having with God.   It was a joy to visit her, but it was definitely different.

Still I am thankful for every moment I had with her.  I am thankful to see the transformation that took place in her life, and I am proud to have called her "Grandma".

If you are reading this, and want to share your own thoughts and memories, please do so.   This reality I am sure touches all of us along the Way ...

No comments:

Post a Comment